Wednesday, August 6, 2008

I never saw this one coming!

I have been quiet regarding previous mentions of my leaving work on purpose.

Last Friday, I approached my new (1 day old) boss and presented my letter of resignation. To my surprise she was firm about not wanting me to leave and asked ME if part-time was an option. I have not ever worked for this person but was a team member on a project of hers recently. To say the least, we do not know each other well but I do have a great deal of respect for her and like her very much.

My previous boss left the company fairly unexpectedly and I was so nervous to present my letter given the circumstances. He would not have been surprised and would have already understood my reasoning.

My new boss asked questions and listened and decided to discuss the matter with her boss and get back with me later that day.

To my total surprise I was asked to put together a part-time proposal over the weekend and turned it in this past Monday. Needless to say, I asked for exactly what I wanted. 20 hours a week with the option for more depending on the work, freedom to create my own schedule, and the option to work from home. Given the opportunity I was not going to let it pass without going for what I needed for us.

Today, my bosses boss called a meeting with me first thing this AM and decided to support my proposal. I could not believe it. I actually got misty as this is something that will totally help my family but also free me up for a better work/life balance.

My intention was never to not work at all. We can't afford that right now. No matter what, I was going to have to work part-time so, this is just the best option I could have asked for. I genuinely care about the company I work for and the people I work with. I believe in what we do and am so grateful that after 8+ years, my efforts are appreciated. I get to stay!

The logistics have not been worked out yet and I suspect they are coming next week. It is just amazing how I have felt lead in this.

I was at total peace regarding leaving my job. Something I have never felt before. In the past when the conversation would come up with Jay and I, I always felt panicky about it. It just did not feel right. This time, I prayed about it hard and had total peace that it was the right thing to do. I knew I would find part-time work I just never dreamed it would work out this way.

I don't know what the future holds. In a few months, I could realize that this is still too much or they could decide that it is not for them. In the mean time, I am going to enjoy this and find renewed energy for my work and home life.

Sometimes, things do just work out on their own.


The above was written over a week ago. I have the final details worked out and will be working Tuesday's and Thursday's from 10-6. Wednesday nights I will come into work or work from home (4 hours). Jay will work 6-4 on Tuesday's and Thursday's so that the boys are only in need of childcare 6 hours twice a week. It is the best I can do as, I still have a department to run. I am very happy with it and hope that all works out and the company and myself are happy with the arrangements. Carson will be also be in school for part of the days so I feel better that he will have more time with me.

Next week it begins and it is already a busy week. I have an evaluation for Carson on Monday and a doc appointment for myself the same day. I know that having more available time during the day for therapies and such will be such a help. Our evening life is so busy.

I have tons to post - the Wedding!, Bark in the Park, Armada Fair...tons of pics. I hope to get to it all this weekend.

Love you - Em


Anonymous said...

I am so glad that your job has workded out for you! Take care!


Anonymous said...

You must be one great employee for them to offer part's a feather in your cap! I know the boys are going to love having "my mommy" around.

Anonymous said...

You go Em!!!The boys will love having you home and you know we'll help whenever we can. Love Pa and Granny.